PFAG is a nonprofit agricultural organization dedicated to improving the lives of the Small Scale Farmers by advancing integrated and locally driven solutions through pro-poor agricultural and trade policy advocacy, research, training in agronomic and entrepreneurial practices. Our staff includes experts in agricultural and economic development, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. PFAG operates with over 39,000 small scale farmers in all the ten regions and over 55 districts in the ten regions of Ghana.
PFAG is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Accounts Officer for a 2 year contract with a possible renewal on an Agro-ecology project which will be based in Kintampo North in the Brong Ahafo Region.
The Agro-ecology Project is an Open Society Initiative for West Africa (OSIWA) funded project managed by PFAG. The project is aimed at accelerating Climate Change resilience and adaptation through promoting agro-ecology farming practices. This project will establish agro-ecology farms and community seed banks in the District where over 400 small holder farmers will benefit directly through training.
Job Title: Accounts Officer
Reporting To: Finance and Administrative Officer (Head Office)
Probation Period: 3 Months
The Accounts Officer’s primary role is to assist the Finance and Administrative Officer (Head Office) in the management of the project financial resources.
Good management decisions rely heavily on accurate and timely presentation of financial information. As such the overall financial health of the Project is supported from this area through the delivery of effective accounts department services. The role is to be performed with high standards of service to external and internal stakeholders.
- To maintain the books and other financial records of the Project.
- To reconcile the bank statements. Working with the Project Officer on preparing the books and records for audits, and specifically ensure compliance with all finance requirements of the Project.
- To prepare monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual project income and expenditure accounts for Head Office in an accurate and timely manner.
- Update and maintain accounting journals, ledgers and other records detailing financial business transactions (e.g., disbursements, expense vouchers, receipts, accounts payable). Enters data into computer system using defined computer programs (QuickBooks Pro 2015)
- Tracks and audits petty cash disbursement and prepares reports for replenishment
- Travels when needed to co-ordinate, monitor and/or participate in related Project activities.
- To ensure that all office equipment is kept in good working order, establish and keep inventories up-to-date.
- Performs other relevant duties as required.
- HND in Accounting from a recognized institution with (2 years experience in a project related environment will be an advantage)
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting and bookkeeping principles and procedures
- Strong reporting writing skills including reporting to senior management and Board
- Strong organizational, verbal and written communication skills a must
- Competency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel and Power point and (knowledge of an accounting software preferably QuickBooks will be an advantage)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Attention to detail and ability to multi-task is an asset
How to apply:
Please submit a one-page motivation letter and a recent CV bearing your contact details and two references to email@example.com
Be sure to highlight in the motivation letter how specifically you meet the criteria for this role. Due to capacity constraints, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. NB: This position is preferably for a young woman.
Application deadline: Tuesday, 25th March, 2016